Every year a significant number of people are injured as the result of an accident with fireworks. Over half of those injured are children under the age of 16. As it is illegal to sell fireworks to under 16’s Who is to Blame?
If you are buying fireworks for any reason, order them from a reputable stockist who will keep them until they are required. Once you take delivery, remember that FIREWORKS ARE EXPLOSIVES.
Follow this common sense guidance to improve your Fire Safety with Firework
The Firework Code:
- Buy Fireworks that conform to BS 7114 Part 2 1998.
- Keep Fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time.
- Follow the instructions on each firework carefully.
- Light the end of the firework fuse at arms length using a taper.
- Never throw Fireworks
- Stand well back
- Never return to a firework once lit.
- Never put a firework in your pocket.
- Keep pets indoors
- Never give sparklers to children under 5.
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves to hold them.
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
Organising a Display:
- Is a complicated process that requires a significant amount of planning
- Share the load and keep Police, Fire and local authorities informed
- Set up a committee whose members can each take responsibility for a particular task (including one person to be in charge of all safety arrangements)
- Make contact with the Fire Service to obtain the specific guidance required for organising private or public displays.